Baggage Policy and Conditions
The Passenger must attach an identification label to their baggage containing truthful and up-to-date information before checking it in. Thereafter, Costa Rica Green Airways shall be liable for the Passenger’s baggage. Costa Rica Green Airways shall provide the Passenger with a baggage registration voucher, certifying that it has been checked in, which must be kept by the Passenger until they have collected the baggage.
1.2 Dangerous Goods
Objects that endanger the aircraft or the people or equipment on board, such as those specified in the Dangerous Goods Regulations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which include but are not limited to gas cylinders, inflammable liquids and solids, poisons, radioactive material, corrosives, firearms and explosives, will not be accepted for carriage in the cargo hold or overhead lockers on board without the prior express consent of Costa Rica Green Airways. For further information about dangerous goods, please consult our regulations.
If you have any queries regarding which articles you can carry on to the aircraft or check in for carriage in the cargo hold, or where specific items should be carried, please contact us before you travel or customer services desk when you arrive at the airport.
1.3 Carrier’s entitlement to inspect luggage
- For reasons of security, we may require you to allow us to search, X-ray or scan your luggage—and your luggage may be searched or may have been searched in your absence if you are not available (even if it means forcing the locks on your luggage)—with assistance from the competent authorities, in order to determine whether you are in possession of any item described in our policy.
- If you are not willing to fulfil the aforementioned requirement, we may refuse to carry you or your luggage without refund or any other liability. If you are injured when being searched or scanned, or if the X-ray or scanner damages your luggage, we will not be liable unless the injury or damage was caused through our fault or negligence.
- If required to do so, you must be present during the inspection of your hand luggage or checked luggage by customs agents or other government officials. We will not be liable for any loss or damages resulting from the non-fulfilment of this requirement, unless they were caused by our negligence.
1.4 Luggage allowance per Passenger
With the Basic fare, checking in one case of up to 40 pounds per passenger is included with no extra cost.
All of the fares allow Passengers to check in more than one item of luggage, provided they pay the corresponding charge per item. The allowance may be increased by paying the corresponding charge, subject to a limit of 40 pounds per item of luggage.
If the Passenger wishes to check in more than one item of luggage, the maximum allowance is 60 pounds per Passenger and is subject to the corresponding supplement. Costa Rica Green Airways is entitled to deny carriage of all or part of any baggage exceeding this allowance or for which an excess baggage charge has not been paid. Babies less than two years old may carry a push-chair, basket or cot providing it is fully folded.
1.5 Hand luggage
Each Passenger may only carry one item of hand luggage of up to 22 pounds and no larger than 55x40x20 cm.
In addition, the Passenger may carry one extra item free of charge and which must be significantly smaller than 35x20x20 cm, such as a small briefcase, a handbag or camera.
At the boarding gate, all hand luggage which does not comply to the company’s regulations, i.e. which exceeds the amount, weight or measurements stated above, shall be removed and stored in the cargo hold of the plane, at an additional charge as established in our luggage price policy.
Costa Rica Green Airways reserves the right to cancel a booking and deny boarding to those Passengers who fail to meet the hand luggage requirements specified above.
This is unless, due to local security reasons in the country of origin or destination, such items are not allowed on board, without prejudice to the rules governing the carrying of certain products as hand luggage.
Items (including musical instruments or similar) that do not meet the size requirements for hand luggage shall not be accepted for carriage in the passenger cabin, unless the Passenger has purchased an additional Ticket for the items.
The following items may not be carried as hand luggage:
- Guns, firearms and other devices that discharge projectiles (including all kinds of firearms such as pistols, rifles or shotguns, toy guns, imitation firearms, component parts of firearms, telescopic sights, compressed air and CO2, signal flare pistols and starter pistols, bows, crossbows and arrows, harpoon guns and spear guns, slingshots and catapults).
- Devices designed specifically to stun or immobilise (including stun guns, tasers and stun batons, animal stunners and animal killers, disabling and incapacitating chemicals, gases and sprays, such as tear gas, acid sprays and animal repellent sprays).
- Items that have a sharp tip or edge (including axes, hatchets and cleavers, ice axes and ice picks, knives with blades of more than 6 cm, open razors and blades, scalpels, skiing and hiking poles, scissors with blades of more than 6 cm, sharp or pointed martial arts equipment and swords and sabres).
- Blunt instruments (such as baseball and softball bats, clubs and batons, and martial arts equipment).
- Explosives and incendiary substances and devices (such as ammunition, blasting caps, detonators and fuses, replica or imitation explosive devices, mines, grenades and other explosive military stores, fireworks and other pyrotechnics, smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges, dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives).
- Workmen’s tools capable of being used either to cause serious injury or to threaten the safety of aircraft (including crowbars, drills and drill bits, tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cm, such as screwdrivers and chisels, saws, blowtorches, bolt guns and nail guns).
In accordance with the provisions of Regulation No 185/2010, containers with liquids, aerosols and gels and products of a similar consistency (for example, toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, perfume, shaving foam, aerosols, food spreads, and other items with similar consistencies, etc.) may only be carried as hand luggage providing that they are carried in containers with a capacity not greater than 100 ml.
It is also permitted to carry diet products, medication (liquids or semi-solids) to be used on board, as well as necessary medical instruments such as syringes, for which you should provide a certificate of authenticity at security when required.
It is permitted to take on board liquids purchased at:
- Shops at the flight departure airport located beyond the security control point, points of sale subject to approved security procedures as part of the airport security program, providing they are packed in a tamper-evident bag and that the passenger can prove they have been purchased at that airport on that same day.
- At points of sale situated in the security restricted area subject to approved security procedures as part of the airport security program.
Costa Rica Green Airways recommends reading the aforementioned Regulations for more details on the current prohibitions concerning hand luggage.
Costa Rica Green Airways shall deny boarding, at any time and with no economic compensation, for all hand luggage that fails to meet the requirements set out in the aforementioned Regulations.
All hand luggage must be placed at all times in the overhead lockers installed for that purpose, under the Passenger’s seat or where specified by the cabin crew. The Passenger shall be held liable for any damage caused to Costa Rica Green Airways or to third parties by their luggage, unless due to negligence on the part of Costa Rica Green Airways.
1.6 Collection and handing over of luggage
- Passengers may collect their luggage as soon as Costa Rica Green Airways makes it available to them at the points designated for this purpose at the destination airport. The unprotested collection of luggage on the part of the holder of the luggage registration voucher or Ticket within the legally stipulated periods implies they waive the right to make subsequent claims.
- The Passenger authorizes Costa Rica Green Airways to the effect that, if the Passenger’s luggage is lost, they may conduct, either themselves or through a third party, the necessary investigations to locate the owner, by means of existing objects or elements on the inside or outside of the luggage and duly respecting the confidential nature of the personal data obtained.
- If the Passenger fails to collect their luggage within 7 days of its being made available to them, Costa Rica Green Airways may demand the sum of $10 per day of storage. If the Passenger fails to collect their luggage within six (6) months of the date it was made available to them, Costa Rica Green Airways may dispose of the luggage without liability.
- If a Passenger claims an item of luggage but fails to provide the corresponding luggage registration voucher, the item in question shall only be handed over to the Passenger if they can provide proof satisfying Costa Rica Green Airways that the item belongs to them. If Costa Rica Green Airways so requests, in justified cases and before they can collect their luggage, the Passenger must provide the economic means to cover any loss, damage or expense incurred by Costa Rica Green Airways as a result of the baggage delivery.
- Costa Rica Green Airways is entitled to impede or deny baggage delivery to any Passenger carrying a suspicious item of luggage, or upon a request in this regard from another passenger or from Costa Ricas Police. In such cases, the Passenger must complete all procedures laid down by law before collecting the luggage and Costa Rica Green Airways shall not be held liable for the delayed or denied baggage delivery.
- If the Passenger purchases one or more Point-to-Point flights, it is the responsibility of the Passenger to allow sufficient time to collect their baggage from the first flight (if applicable), check it in again, go through the security control and reach the boarding gate of the second and/or subsequent flights.
1.7 Damaged luggage
- Costa Rica Green Airways shall be liable in cases of destruction, loss or damage to luggage, up to a sum of $1.000 per passenger. A Passenger can benefit from a higher liability limit by making a special value declaration, for which they must pay a supplementary charge to be defined at the counter once the declaration form is completed. As regards unchecked luggage, Costa Rica Green Airways shall only be liable for damages caused by its fault.
- If checked luggage has been damaged, lost, destroyed or delayed, the Passenger must inform Costa Rica Green Airways in writing at the earliest opportunity and in any case within 7 days for damaged luggage and within 21 days for lost luggage. The aforementioned periods will begin from the moment the luggage is handed over.
- In any case, Costa Rica Green Airways will not be liable for damages such as dents, scratches, stains and broken handles/wheels, unless (i) the luggage is proved to have been in perfect condition before it was handed over to Costa Rica Green Airways, (ii) the damage is specified, and (iii) it is proved that the alleged damage occurred during the time that Costa Rica Green Airways was responsible for the luggage.
- Costa Rica Green Airways will not be liable for damages to perishable and fragile items carried as hold or hand baggage, unless (i) it is proved that said items were packed correctly, (ii) the damage is specified, and (iii) it is proved that the alleged damage occurred during the time that Costa Rica Green Airways was responsible for the luggage. For further information about perishable and fragile items, please consult our customer service representatives.
- If the airline operating the flight is not Costa Rica Green Airways, the Passenger may register a complaint or claim with either carrier.
1.8 Animals and special luggage
Passengers who own and love traveling with their pet may take the animal on board with them, providing the animal is appropriately secured and the Passenger accepts liability for any damages caused.
During the booking process, the Passenger may choose to contract the service for carrying a pet in the cabin of the aircraft, the following conditions must be met:
- Only animals such as dogs, cats, birds (except birds of prey), fish and terrapins are allowed on board. Other families of animals such as rodents, lagomorphs (e.g.: rabbits), farm animals or animals that produce smells (ferrets) or noises that are annoying for the rest of the passengers or that may put security on board the plane in danger will not be allowed on board.
- The animal does not need to have a travel carrier if the owner considers is not necessary. If the animal is perceived ad a danger for the flight or other passengers Costa Rica Green Airways reserves the rights to refuse carrying the animal, and this will be subject to the judgement of the aircraft crew.
- Costa Rica Green Airways is entitled to reject all animals whose special characteristics (unpleasant smell, poor health, inadequate hygiene or violent conduct) may cause distress or danger to fellow passengers.
- All passengers carrying animals must take charge of them at all times and deal with any problems they may cause.
The Passenger must ensure that the regulations in force in Costa Rica allow the animal to be carried and to enter the country in accordance with local legislation and that it (i) fullfils all the required standards of hygiene and (ii) has all required documentation for its ownership and transportation.
The Passenger will be liable for any damages (such as fines imposed by the destination country of the flight, etc.) incurred by Costa Rica Green Airways through the transportation of their animal without suitable documentation.
Only two animals are permitted on board in cabin on a single flight. The online booking system does not offer this service to passengers that wish to book once the maximum number (2) has been reached.
Costa Rica Green Airways does not offer the option of carrying animals in the plane’s cargo hold.
For the carriage of sport equipment and special luggage, the Passenger must accept the specific conditions and fees at the time of booking.
1.9 Carriage of equipment pertaining to persons with reduced mobility
Up to one piece of mobility equipment per disabled person or person with reduced mobility can be carried, at no extra cost.